Mission and Values
Marine Anti-Poaching Unit (MAPU) strives to provide a sustainable solution for Marine conservation, create environmental awareness and reduce poverty through job creation.
The operations director was the brain child behind Marine Anti-Poaching Unit (MAPU) utilising his 15 years’ experience in anti-poaching as the key driving force for the start of the Non-Profit Company (NPC)/ Non-Profit Organisation (NPO). He donated key start up equipment and learning material to ensure success. Based on his learning and our Mission, the NPC Values has been stipulated as:
Maximizing – Using any and all resources to deliver against Marine Anti-Poaching Unit (MAPU) mission to sustain our marine life.
Agility – Move quickly and easily with assertiveness to address any risks identified through paying close attention to detail (attentiveness).
Passion – Deliver measurable results through creating environmental awareness by educating the community and expanding our volunteer and donation base.
Unflappable – Ensuring we manage every situation calmly through a unified and cohesive community approach.
- Poverty relief through job creation.
- Environmental protection through monitoring/reporting and assisting DAFF/Cape Nature/SAPS and other law enforcement agencies.
- Anti-Poaching & sustainability education through awareness campaigns with local communities and social media.
- Reduce poaching activity in the Overstrand region by June 2018.
- Steady base of 20+ volunteers by June 2018.
- Financial sponsorship to focus on permanent and long term solutions and job creation.