Mission and Values
Marine Anti-Poaching Unit (MAPU) strives to provide a sustainable solution for Marine conservation.
The Operations Director was the brain child behind Marine Anti-Poaching Unit (MAPU) utilising 18 years’ experience in anti-poaching as the key driving force. MAPU is a registered Non-Profit Company (NPC) / Non-Profit Organisation (NPO) / Public Benefit Organisation (PBO). The director donated key start up equipment and learning material to ensure success.
Based on the director’s knowledge and our Mission, the NPC/NPO/PBO Values has been stipulated as:
Maximizing – Using any and all resources to deliver against Marine Anti-Poaching Unit (MAPU) mission to sustain our marine life.
Agility – Move quickly and easily with assertiveness to address any risks identified through paying close attention to detail (attentiveness).
Passion – Deliver measurable results through creating environmental awareness by educating the community and expanding our volunteer and donation base.
Unflappable – Ensuring we manage every situation calmly through a unified and cohesive community approach.
Marine Anti-Poaching Unit aims to deliver on a variety of objectives linked to marine conservation, social development and community:
- Poverty relief through job creation and youth development
- Environmental protection through monitoring/reporting and assisting SAPS, DEA, DEFF, CAPE NATURE, SANPARKS and other Law Enforcement Agencies
- Marine Conservation – Awareness created by sustainability education
- Reduce marine poaching activity at the South African Coastline by June 2022
- Employ 24/7 monitoring team to cover the South African Coastline
- Environmental Awareness through social media
- Poaching prevention by deploying monitoring teams to monitor poaching hotspots
- Skills development through training – short courses
- Youth Development Projects:
o Community projects focusing on marine conservation – holiday programs
o Beach clean ups
o School projects
o Marine pollution education – the impact of our “waste”